Dental implants are a popular treatment option for people with damaged or missing teeth. Dental implants involve a tiny screw made of durable titanium alloy being inserted into the jawbone. This allows for a dental crown or other prosthesis to be fixed in place once the dental implant and jawbone have fused. Dental implants offer numerous benefits over alternative treatments, and with good care they can last a lifetime.
Why Should Missing Teeth be Replaced?
Teeth can be lost for a variety of reasons; with trauma, decay and gum disease being some of the most common. Having a missing tooth/teeth not only affects your appearance and makes it difficult to eat but can also lead to adverse oral health outcomes.
The root of a healthy tooth serves as an anchor and support for the jawbone. Failing to replace a missing tooth will eventually result in bone loss, which may lead to a weakened jaw and altered facial appearance. Having missing teeth will also make neighbouring teeth more vulnerable to decay, increased wear and periodontal disease. Surrounding teeth may also start to shift in order to fill the gap, which could lead to changes in your bite.
Replacing a missing tooth as early as possible will help to ensure optimal oral health and restore your confidence.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
By opting to replace lost or damaged teeth with dental implants, you will enjoy:
- Improved Appearance and Self Confidence – A person’s smile is one of their most memorable features. A missing tooth can cause a knock to self-confidence, which may affect your professional and personal life. Replacing the gaps with dental implants will boost morale and improve your appearance. Implants look just like your natural teeth and can restore a beautiful smile.
- Optimal Oral Health – Replacing missing teeth is important as this can cause difficulties with chewing, shifting of remaining teeth and bone loss. Dental implants can help to ensure optimal oral health.
- Improved Comfort – Enjoy eating all your favourite foods, without worrying about pain and discomfort or the peculiar feeling caused by the gap in your smile.
Who can get dental implants?
Dental implants have a high success rate, and most people are suitable candidates for this treatment. It is important that you have a fully grown and healthy jawbone, as well as healthy gums. This will allow for successful osseointegration, whereby the living bone and titanium dental implant fuse together.
Some factors which may affect eligibility include:
- Gum disease
- Heavy drinking
- Regular use of antibiotics
If you have recently lost a tooth, please don’t hesitate to book an appointment with Sydney Park Dental. Our experienced dentists will perform an evaluation to determine whether you are an eligible candidate for dental implants. In cases where dental implants are not suitable, alternative tooth replacement options will be recommended.
What does a dental implant procedure involve?
Dental implants will require multiple visits to the dentist over a period of up to 9 months.
The process involves:
- X-rays and CT scans to examine jawbone and determine placement of the implant
- Fitment of the dental implant to the jawbone
- 4-6 months wait to allow for healing and osseointegration
- Placement of the dental abutment
- A mould taken of the mouth to create an artificial tooth/teeth (dental crown)
- The dental crown being fixed to the implant
Dental implants have a success rate of over 96%, and with a good oral care routine and regular dental check-ups they can last a lifetime.
Considering Dental Implants? Book an Appointment at Sydney Park Dental Today
Ready to smile with confidence once again? Sydney Park Dental can help you achieve the perfect smile with dental implants. Call today on 02 8084 7170 to book an appointment at your local Erskineville dentist.